The most common comfort food in India?.. Yes! Rice and Dal. Dal tadka is probably the easiest among all Dal recipes. The royal dal dish is of course, the Dal makhani. I can say that it is quite uncommon for folks to go to Indian restaurants and not order a dal dish.
After a tiring day at the office, didn’t have energy to innovate too much in the kitchen. So, without having to ponder too much, decided to make Tadka Dal for dinner. 😉
Here is the full recipe…
- Red Lentils – 1 cup
- Yellow split lentils – 1/4 cup
- Red onion – 1 1/2 no
- Ginger – 1″
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Tomatoes – 2 small
- Chillies – 4 no
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro leaves – handful
- Vegetable Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pressure cook the lentils with enough water (enough to cover the lentils)and salt.
- Heat a Kadai/Wok and add the vegetable oil. Once it is hot, add the Cumin and asafoetida powder.
- Without letting it burn, add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for a minute or till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add the chopped onion and chillies. Saute till it becomes soft.
- Add the spice powders and mix well to the onion mixture. Add the chopped tomatoes to this and let it cook for a minute.
- Now pour in the cooked lentils with any water that’s left. Add salt to taste and let it bubble away for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot.
My foodie family devours Dal tadka. 🙂 So do I.