Pachadi is a yogurt based curry/side dish, popular in the southern parts of India. It is based on one vegetable and cucumber, beets, any gourds or fruits like pineapple, papaya et. fit the bill. My favorites are the classic bitter gourd pachadi or the cool cucumber pachadi. Beets are normally not my man’s friend, but hey, he actually tried this!
- Beetroot – 4 small cooked
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Chillies – 1 or 2
- Coconut – grated 1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seed – 2 tsp
- Yogurt – 5 tbsps
- Curry leaves – 4-5 leaves
- Chop the cooked beetroots and put it in the food processor along with the grated coconut, ginger, chillies and 1 tsp of mustard seeds.
- Blend this into a creamy mixture.
- In a kadai, heat oil and add the remaining tsp of mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add the curry leaves and then the mixture into the kadai. Give it a good stir and add the salt to taste.
- Switch off the flame and add the yogurt and mix well.
- Ready to serve with some rice and curries.
Since beetroot pachadi seemed a beautiful pink dish to my baby, she loved it. Makes me a happy mum. 🙂