Palak dal is a favourite in the house. This time I used curly kale instead of spinach and the response was ,well, I need not wash them plates now. haha..
- Red lentils – 1/2 cup
- Yellow split lentils – 1/4 cup
- Curly kale – 1/2 cup
- Shallots- 3 nos
- Ginger – 1″
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Chillies – 3 nos
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri methi – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
- Clarified butter or Ghee – 1 tsp
- Jeera powder – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Cook the lentils with a little salt and water enough to cover the lentils, in a pressure cooker till soft. For me, 2 whistles on high flame and a 5 minutes on sim is done deal.
- Heat the oil in a kadai. Add the asafoetida powder, followed by the chopped shallots, giner, garlic and chillies. Saute well for 5 minutes.
- Now add the washed and chopped kale, stir fry for a minute.
- Add all the spices. Combine well for a minute.
- Add the cooked dal to this and let it bubble for 3 minutes or until thick. Add salt and water if required.
- Drizzle the ghee over this and switch off the flame.
Serve with some hot chapathis or plain rice.