Rogan josh is a Kashmiri lamb curry which is spicy and aromatic. I just love everything about it. Now the recipe i am going to share is of Chicken. Why you ask? My dearest mom doesn’t eat lamb. We grew up not tasting lamb, I know! Its during a trip back in my college days that i tasted a lamb dish. Fell in love that instant. Luckily lamb is favorite to my man too.
Anyway, i tried a chicken variety of rogan josh and it went well. I guarantee happy faces!
- Chicken breasts – 2 halved
- Red onion – 1 large
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch
- Cinnamon stick – 1 ” piece
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cloves – 4
- Green cardamom – 3 pods
- Dried red chillies – 4
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsps
- Cashew nuts – 8 nos
- Greek yogurt – 5 tbsp
- Single cream – 5 tbsp
- Ghee(clarified butter) – 1 tsp
- Soak the cashew nuts in warm water(just enough to cover).
- Dry roast the spice powders in a pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, dry roast the dried chillies and green cardamom. Put this in a grinder along with the roasted powder. Add 1 tsp of ghee or clarified butter and grind this mixture to a paste.
- In a food processor, add the red onion, ginger, garlic and stalks of the coriander leaves. Grind to a coarse mixture and keep aside.
- In the same processor, add the cream, yogurt and the soaked cashew nuts with the water. Blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon bark. Once it crackles, add the spice paste.
- Now add the onion mixture and cook till soft.
- On high heat add the chicken fillets and brown the pieces on both sides for about 10 minutes.
- Now add the cream mixture and bubble for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the curry to an oven proof dish and into the oven preheated to 160 degrees celsius. Cook for 80 minutes.
- Keep checking if the dish has enough liquid. Add water if required.
- Once done, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Rotis.
This became a hit in my family instantly. Kids loved the soft chicken pieces. 🙂