Here is the original Rogan Josh. The lamb rogan josh! After the success of the chicken rogan josh, i couldn’t just not make the original rogan josh recipe. Coming from the beautiful land of kashmir, it promises a very aromatic and melt-in-the-mouth dish.
So here is the Rogan josh recipe that we loved at home(Except for my mom of course!).
- Lamb – 500 gm boneless diced
- Onion – 2 small
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Ginger – 1 thumb sized piece
- Greek yogurt – 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch
- Mint leaves – 5 leaves
- Green chillies – 2
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cinnamon bark – 1″ piece
- Dried red chillies – 3 nos
- Nutmeg powder – 1/4 tsp
- Green cardamom – 2
- Peppercorns – 8 nos
- Cloves – 6
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Tomatoes – 2 nos blanched
- Chicken stock – 1/2 cup
- Lemon – 1
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
- Wash the diced lamb thoroughly and keep aside.
- In a processor, grind together the onions, ginger, garlic, coriander leaves, mint leaves and chillies to a coarse mixture and keep aside.
- In the same processor, blend the tomatoes(after blanching) and keep aside.
- Dry roast the following spices(dried red chillies, green cardamom,peppercorns,cloves,cumin seeds,coriander seeds) in a pan and grind to powder form. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan which is oven proof as well. [you could first use a kadai on the hob and then transfer to oven proof dish for cooking in oven]
- Add the spice powder along with bay leaves and cinnamon bark.
- Saute for 30 seconds and then add the onion mixture. Saute till it softens.
- Now add the diced meat. Cook on high heat for the meat to brown. Cook on all sides for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the chilli powders and salt. Saute for a minute.
- Add the blended tomatoes and chicken stock(you can use water instead too).
- Let it bubble for a minute on high heat.
- Transfer the contents to the oven proof dish and put it in the oven preheated to 160 degree celsius.
- Cook covered for approximately 2 hours. Keep checking if there is enough water in the dish.
- Once it is done, the meat will start to melt. Transfer to serving dish, and squeeze lemon juice on top.
Enjoy a spicy lamb rogan josh with some ghee rice or fluffy naan. My kids just loved the melting soft pieces of lamb. Its finger-lickin’ good! 😉